Saturday 13 June 2015

A short trip to Perth

This Wednesday, my two daughters and I flew to Perth for a five day stay.  It would have been a restful break from work and study for us, but in reality my main purpose for visiting Perth was to visit my ex-boss from my first job, who had also hired my late wife as his secretary, so needless to say had unknowingly played a tremendous part in both our lives. We had lost contact of him after we got married but somehow news of Jenny's passing on found its way to him in Perth. I was therefore surprised to receive his text message offering his condolences during the week of Jenny's funeral wake. He later shared too that he had also lost his wife to illness some years back and invited me to visit him in Perth.


Flying out of Singapore for a supposedly leisure trip for the first time without Jenny was, as I had half-expected, turned out to be  disheartening and overall, a morose experience.

Over our 30 years of marriage life together, I have lost count of the number of oversea trips we had taken together. Jenny loves travelling and I discovered this in our early years together, to my initial disconcernment, while we were hatching our wedding plans.  Like most young couples starting out, we were hard-pressed to put together a decent wedding package, with all the standard frills- 8 course chinese dinner, video and photoshoot coverage, etc, which while we had kept simple enough, had still put considerable strain on our limited shoestring budget. With whatever meagre savings left in our bank accounts could we afford the luxury of a far flung and expensive honeymoon? But Jenny was insistent. “You only get married once”, she reminded me. And to which I could not disagree.

Her dream of the perfect wedding would be incomplete without us escaping to some faraway country, like a trip to Europe, where she was hoping to visit her close friend who had settled in Zurich and also to England. The latter suggestion arose from my own doing,  thanks to my frequent sharing of how beautiful and picturesque the English countryside would unfold itself on a self-drive holiday, having experienced this in a previous company trip. So, extravagant as it was, we threw caution to the wind and imprudently splurged our remaining savings on a two-week trip to England, travelling on a rented car and then to Zurich and sightseeing by train through Austria.

From then, you could say that her love for travelling had me hopelessly smitten in similar fashion.  When our kids arrived, the year-end vacation trips would include each and every one of them – none was left behind nor considered too young to travel.  Our oversea adventures, always on self-planned itinerary  on rented cars, were yearly highlights which the entire clan would look forward to. We found ways of flying to several North American destinations – San Francisco, Seattle, Orlando, Colorado, LA, Vancouver and so on for exotic winter holidays on cheap flight tickets, thanks to Jen’s sister who works for an American airline.

So for this instance, travelling out for the first time on a non-working trip without her, feels surreal and incomplete. The transit area at the airport, with all its colourful shopping outlets, bustling with eager travellers did not bring in the same exciting feel as in past vacations. I could still picture her in our midst, lugging her usual haversack which she uses only on trips abroad, looking relaxed and contented and quietly surveying the duty-free shops while keeping an eye on the children to be sure that all would be on time for boarding. But she is not there and I was already feeling weary even before departure.

I suppose looking back, we have enjoyed enough of wonderful holidays together to provide a life-time of memories to cherish. At this point I just have to accept it that such good times, like many other splendours in life cannot always last forever.  My travelling days will from now onwards be few and far in between, not least that with retirement looming, I need to be more prudent with my spending but that now, without that special someone to share the experience with, I will struggle to find the reason to travel. There is a lengthy bucket list of places that Jen and I will want to visit and I suppose before age takes its toll on health and mobility, I could find myself making the trip to get to some of them. I will not be travelling alone as surely she will be right there in my heart everywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment