Tuesday 9 June 2015

Clearing out her office

Today I made a trip to Jenny's office, a local offshore company where she had served for more than 30 years.  The HR Manager had arranged for all her personal belongings packed neatly into boxes and helped me load into my MPV to bring home.  It was the first time I had ventured into her office and looking at the vacated cubicle where she sat all these years, my heart felt as heavily weighted as the two trolley loads of stuff that was packed into the car boot.

There is so much follow-up work to do following her departure - getting a grant of probate to execute her will, writing to cancel her credit cards, writing to the SLA to lodge the notice of death, insurance claims, etc, etc. It is really tough to summon the energy and focussing to work on all these procedures which are meant to bring closure to a person's life.

But real closure is a far fetched idea for me right now as it is hard to accept that my Jen is gone.  I will soon be unpacking all her stuff brought back from her office - bits and pieces of keepsake accumulated over the years, each with a little story that only she would best be able to tell.  But at this stage I cannot bring myself to clear away any of her things. At some point I probably would need to and a number of them will probably be given away.

Time heals, as I have been told several times by well meaning friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment