Sunday 1 May 2016

Falling sick with a mountain to climb

My official trip to the UK finished up rather badly.  For me at least. I suffered one of my deepest fear when on the road – falling sick.

I supposed I could count myself fortunate that I was fit and fine for the first 5 days of the trip, when most of the major meetings and visits were scheduled.  I could have been careless, letting my guard down, either by not hydrating well enough or missing my vitamin supplement for that day. It was towards the Saturday weekend evening when the symptoms started telling their warning signs - aching in my joints and a drastic reduction in appetite. All is not well.

Although most of the trip itinerary was done with, there was still a remaining stint that require my two other travelling colleagues and I to journey up north, cutting diagonally across almost the entire Scotland from Glasgow into the Scottish Highlands and towards a small town called Forres, located close to the North Sea coast and about 320km or a 3-4 hour drive from Glasgow. Weather-wise, we could expect strong winds and chillier temperatures. My weakening body, fresh host to the invading virus now playing havoc in my system, trembled with this unwelcoming news from the weather forecast.

The Saturday night before the long drive up north was an endless series of tosses and turning. My mind was stuck on fight mode, in a perpetual state of delirium, too active to sink into restive dream-state and the sleep my body was craving for, and any success to actually enter into sleep would be quickly frustrated by my lungs exploding in successive staccatos of violent coughing.  My appetite for food was also completely taken down by the intruding aliens. I managed only to nibble part of a banana for my breakfast and drink some hot tea to sooth my throat, bruised by the incessant coughing.

It was fortunate that we had another driver amongst our traveling entourage of 3 persons and she was confident and adept at driving in foreign soil. This was one tender mercy I should not discount. Not many Singaporeans are experienced at overseas driving. That relieved me of the responsibility and allowed me to rest over a larger part of the trip in the back seat of our rented car. A 4 hour journey that require focussed concentration in my current woozy mental state would be precarious.

Once out of Glasgow sub-urban, the Scottish Highlands unfolded itself with picturesque beauty typical of the British countryside but instead of the gentler rolling fields and knolls of the English landscape, towering hills and mountains sweep majestically into the distance. In the foreground, clumps of quaint stone cottages with the occasional small castle or cathedral, surrounded by countless sheep and sometimes cows that dotted the broad expanse of open fields all around told us that traditional farming is still very much alive in this supposedly modern country.  My two travelling companions seated in the front were oozing “oohs” and “ahs” to the pristine beauty of the Scottish glens and countryside.

But I spent most the trip huddled in the back seat, coughing away pathetically and depriving me of restful moments. It was dreadful. But at least I did not have to drive.

The next two days was a struggle. Cold weather with glorious sunshine alternating with flurries of hailstone rain whenever a dark cloud glided overhead.  It was weather I had never seen before. When the long meetings with our partners were finally over and done with I was thankful. I had eaten very little, mostly soup and some bread for each meal and real restful sleep was still escaping me.

The long-haul flight back home promised of better things to come. Back home to warmer weathers and where I could immediately seek medical attention. I hardly ate anything on the flight for fear of throwing up. It was amazing that the business class food menu could boast of an amazing range of dinner options but not a simple bowl of warm vegetable soup. I glanced under the menu section of “Delectables” where passengers could choose a range of snacks in-between meals. Tom Yam noodles. That sounded palatable enough. Instant noodles it may be but I would stomach a few mouthfuls and ingest some of the mildly spicy and hot soup served with it.  The stewardess who took my order was puzzled about my choice but did not query or not try to change my mind.

Out of the airport gates, my boy, W picked me at the arrival pick-up and quickly we were on our way back home. After a quick clean-up I made my way to our neighbourhood clinic. The locum physician on duty prescribed a 5 day course of Augmentin anti-biotics.  It was four days since I caught the virus.  I now wonder if the medical treatment has come a little late. I was virtually fighting the virus on my own for the first 4 days without medication. Now nestled in the comfort of home, with medical leave followed by a long weekend on account of 1st May being Labour Day, a public holiday I have had plenty of rest and should be recovering well. But not so this time.  My head felt heavy, sleep was still a rarity and always the violent spasms of coughing tearing up my lungs despite four days of medication. Perhaps the viral strain from a foreign country is proving itself to be a harder adversary for my body to deal with.

It may sound ridiculous and out of place. The compelling reason why I was so racked by anxiety of not recovering quickly enough to restore my health was mainly because of a mountain. Yes literally speaking, a mountain more than 4000 m in height which I have planned to climb. And the crucial date that is looming closer with each day I spent languishing in bed – 8th of May, is less than a week away.  It would be expected to be the most physically arduous venture I had undertaken all my life.

Mount Kinabalu is a mountain located somewhere in Borneo Islands that is beckoning and for which a small group of friends and I have made a date to climb. We have booked the trip early in the year and have been meeting regularly every few weeks to trek around our nature reserves and build our fitness to prepare for the climb.  Like the majority of leisure climbers we will be taking the easy route that requires no mountaineering skills but the climber is still expected to be in very good physical condition.

I had in the past floated the idea of climbing this mountain to Jenny.  But she was not an outdoor person so the mountain had little appeal to her.  In later years I had suggested teaming up with friends for the climb. Without her of course.

 And leave me alone at home worrying for you?  At your age it is too risky! You never realise you are not as young anymore”.  Cold water quickly dousing whatever flames of enthusiasm that might still be simmering within me.  The idea was quickly canned. How could I make her worry for me just so I could pursue my own selfish ambitions?

But lately my good friend J was keen on climbing the mountain and had plans to organise a trip for a small group of 5.  Do it before we get too old. This is true. And it gives us a reason to push ourselves further in our physical workouts. Like doing vertical climbs of 40 storey blocks not once but twice over. Or trekking around our central reservoir, a 12 km route at around 2 hours.

So Mount Kinabalu was a much anticipated project, a date I had clearly marked on my calendar and for which I was very much looking forward to. Back to nature, and the possibility of standing on the peak of the highest point in the region, with my head above clouds or if the weather is clear, to see as far as the eye can see.

But I did not see this flu bug coming and how it appears now to be playing havoc to my next holiday plan. I could see Jenny from a distance looking satisfied of this unexpected turn in events that would now be scuttling my plans. But she would also share my disappointment if I have to cancel the trip as getting even a partial refund will be highly unlikely.

I will  need to work harder over the next few days to rid myself of this virus and get myself back in shape.  Even if it is a mountain to climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment