Wednesday 16 March 2016

Accepting that she is forever gone

Acceptance. I am quite sure I have reached that phase. Grief counsellors would say that I have made significant “progress”. I have mixed views on that. But undeniably, surely, though with great reluctance I have to admit to accepting the hard fact that I have lost her.  Forever and ever.

These days I do not dwell too much anymore on what it would be like if she is still with me. Because I have been slam-dunked into this new reality where she is not a physical part of anymore. She is now but traces of a memory. A visage that my confused mind with its high propensity for self-delusion, keep planting everywhere. Especially so when I am at home. I “see” her – reclining against her favourite sofa, brushing past me as I mount the stairs or lying still beside me on my now awkwardly oversized bed.

But the trickery of these awful mind-games betray its transcendence. They remind me instead that she is gone for good.

So I wake up each day, muttering to myself. Make the best of the new day. Live the day for her. Because she wanted so much to live on, though alas, could not.

It is now routine. I have truly accepted her passing on. Like it or not, this new world is now the “new normal” for me. Empty and flat as it may feel.

I am also mindful that it has been a rather long hiatus since my last posting. An explanation might be in order. It may seem like my writing has fallen off a cliff of sorts.

I could offer excuses. After all, the “new normal” has seen more of my time packed with all kinds of activities, sometimes leaving me all bushed out. I had spent more of my free time outdoors, seeking out new jogging trails, trekking up and down Bukit Timah hill, which pathetically, at 160m is the tallest hill feature in our small island state and keeping myself as trim and fit as my strained sinews and withering body would permit. I received frequent invites for badminton meet-ups, open mic jamming sessions on Friday nights and dinner meetings with old colleagues.

But what kept my fingers from hitting the keyboard was neither fatigue nor lack of time. I was seriously having second thoughts of penning my emotive state.

Not since I started the blog to chronicle at least in parts my journey of grief, have I ever been so rattled with self-doubt. I had long hard thoughts.  What was I trying to prove? Are my postings at all helpful to the bereaved? To inspire them to rise above the rut? Fat chance on that. To the non-bereaved, I might have written enough to garner some sympathy but woe would be me, if pity was the object of my effort.

The entire writing endeavour was meant to be a form of catharsis, to release and re-channel my inner pain. But the words of CS Lewis rang again inside my head - "Aren't all these notes the senseless writings of a man who won't accept the fact that there is nothing we can do with suffering except to suffer it?"
So my writing hit a wall. I came close to deserting my journal.

But like a faithful old friend, this old site came calling me back. I would never have the heart to close it down. The words might run dry and some day it probably would, but what little I have after my terrible loss, I will hold fast to. Along with the grief I am now left with. Because grief is the product of my love for her. And my love for her does not change with her passing. My lovely Jenny whom I will always hold dear in my heart.

So this is what acceptance means. I will spend the better part of each day getting the chores done. In the office, decisions on this and that. Issues to resolve, glitches to smoothen out, bruises to balm and knots to unstitch. After years of toil and toll, there is little I have not encountered in the education scene that I cannot say “been there, done that”.   Or at home, mail to sort out, food supplies to stock up on, a cat to pat and feed.

But now for these last 335 days since she had left me, there is but one constant. Busy or exciting the day may have unfolded, I return each night to a life without her.  And that feeling of hollowness and emptiness. I feel weak, afraid, lost and lonely.  Accept her non-existence completely and totally. But those feelings are always there. A constant companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment