Tuesday 24 November 2015

Our Annual Staff Night

Super-heroes and Villains. That’s the theme for this year’s annual staff dinner and dance that is happening this Friday evening. 

So all the talk around the office for the past week was about what costume to wear. Super-man or Batman? Or should it be Captain America or Spiderman?  Depending on whether you are a Marvel or DC comic fan.  Female colleagues had lesser options. Unless they are daring enough to reveal the Wonder Woman within them.

“I will come as the Invisible Man”, was my reply. Literally so too as I had already decided not to attend. 

I had not taken long to make up my mind on a no-show after the announcement was first emailed to all the staff. I just could not picture myself spending a whole evening of partying and dining in all that razzmatazz. Even amongst colleagues.

My boss and our HR would probably frown at my non-attendance. Such events are meant to be investments on staff morale. And I am expected to be setting an example. So I can expect some stick for being a spoiler.

What would I be missing? An entire evening of fun and laughter with all colleagues, a sumptuous eight course dinner with attractive prizes to win and so on. In all, a jolly good time that is beckoning. The Staff Night is slated to be the staff event of the year, not to be missed.

So colleagues might be puzzled at my decision of not going. But strange enough, when I shared with those who had asked, nobody really asked me why.

A moment of awkward silence. Or a quiet nod of the head. I suppose they remembered.  Jenny’s demise and my bereavement. Still smouldering in a mournful state.

Was it not many months already, since his tragic loss? But still too soon to be ready for unbridled merry-making. What a pity.

So was it pity that I seek by voting not to attend? If that is so, then I should get real.  For a start, nobody would notice my absence. Amid the glitter and many colourful super-heroes and villains showing up, who would be missing one sombre dour character I have known to become? I should be conscious that I am not exactly a fun-guy to have or be around these days.   

Perhaps with time I will learn to relax and enjoy partying again. There is always next year’s Staff Night to prove myself again. If my career could last that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment